Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gluten-free this, gluten-free that, blah, blah, blah

Okay, we're only a few days into this gluten-free diet of Kaytyn's, and I already want to punch someone in the head. The $6.00 loaf of gluten-free bread we bought specially for her got moldy 4 days after opening it. Should I freeze it from now on, or put it in the fridge, or just shove 8 pieces per day down her throat? Because we don't have the money to be buying $6.00 loaves of bread all the time! (UGH!)Anyhow, I made some Gluten-free Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies tonight. They were okay I suppose. Not gross, but not something that I would leave for Santa and expect to get a pony on Christmas morning either. I guess for gluten-free, they were pretty good. Too crumbly though. Then I made some flour-less peanut butter cookies that only call for peanut butter, eggs, and sugar. Those turned out pretty awesome. Then I had to increase the awesomeness by making a chocolate glaze to drizzle over them. Those were a hit.  I even sent some home with Steven (although he wasn't here long enough to get the glaze on them, but they were still good). All in all, I had a good gluten-free baking experience tonight. Now, please excuse me while I go wallow in despair at having to throw away a half-loaf of EXPENSIVE gluten-free bread.

2 comments:

  1. oh the joys of going gluten-free!! I would suggest freezing it - esp. if she is the only one eating it. Expensiveeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I started freezing it. I only take out 2 pieces at a time. Bread shouldn't be that expensive. No matter WHAT is or isn't in it. :)

    ReplyDelete